Vnc - Wiki wiki page
Added on: 19th of August 2014
VNC allows you to remote control your box via a graphical interface.
First off, install the VNC app via your Box page.
Download a client
Connecting to your desktop
Connecting to your desktop is different depending on your client.
Tight VNC on Windows
On windows you should look something like this. You need to add a command in the input box.
For instance if you are on the server omega and the app port is 6221 you will fill in.
Now press connect and your desktop should show up.
Use the built-in VNC client in macOS
You can use the built-in VNC client by opening vnc:// URLs in Safari.
For instance if your server at Bytesized is Gaia and your assigned port number is 1234 you would enter the following URL in Safari: vnc://gaia.bysh.me:1234
Chicken on OS X
If you boot Chicken you should see something along these lines
- Host should have the domain name of your server, for instance omega.bytesized-hosting.com
- Display or Port should have your port number.
- Password, well should have the password mentioned at your VNC details.
- Make sure to disable "View only" otherwise you won't be able to control anything.
SSH tunneling through Kitty
I tried the following and it worked - much slower for me but this way safer to do from an untrusted network:
- Verify both SSH working in Kitty and VNC working
- Then in a disconnected state in Kitty
- Connection / SSH / X11 / Enable X11 forwarding
- Connection SSH Tunnels, source port is 9090, destination is the same hostname:port as in the VNC viewer
- Save the session
- Start Kitty session
- Start VNC as localhost:9090
- Recommendation: if it is slower, set VNC client to user fewer colors
If for some reason you can't connect using
server.bytesized-hosting.com try using
|Last Author||Contributors||Versions||Last update|
|foothis||Maran, Alchemist, whiskey0, Elek, meekmesh||9||Sun, 29 Oct 2017 00:32:55 +0200|